In 1975, Josefina V. Suarez, an educator, and her brother-in-law Francisco B. Alido, Sr., a businessman, collaborated to establish a preschool in Bacoor, Cavite. They named the school after Mother Elizabeth Ann Seton, an American saint who established a religious community of teaching sisters and laid the foundation of the Catholic parochial system in America.
The school started with two classes in school year 1975-1976 with 14 pupils in the morning and 20 pupils in the afternoon both handled by Mrs. Suarez while both families attended to other tasks connected with running a school, always mindful of providing quality education for their pupils.
Every year after its establishment, impressed with the standard of education provided, increasing number of new preschoolers sought admission to the school; meanwhile, the parents of old pupils did not want to transfer their children who were promoted to higher levels. To address this, additional teachers were hired and levels were added each school year. In 1979, the school opened its doors to the first batch of grade school students.
During its formative stages, the school had to transfer to four different sites to accommodate its steadily increasing population, until it settled in its permanent location in BF Resort Village, Las Piñas in 1987 which also housed the first batch of high school students. From then on, the school proclaimed its status as a Catholic School with fervent spiritual guidance from the Oblates of Divine Love Community from Rome, paving way for the construction of the school chapel which was blessed by his Eminence Jaime Cardinal Sin and Monsignor Josefino Ramirez of the Archdiocese of Manila in 1989.
After receiving its Level I Accreditation from the Philippine Accrediting Association of School, Colleges and Universities (PAASCU) in July 1997, the school management decided to break grounds for another campus to ease the congestion in the Las Piñas campus and to serve the needs of residents farther south.
On June 1998 the Elizabeth Seton School-Cavite campus at Anabu II-D, City of Imus Cavite opened its doors to a new batch of Setonians. Ten years after, on February 15, 2008 Bishop Luis Antonio Tagle and Monsignor Josefino Ramirez inaugurated the blessing of the Cavite campus two-story chapel.
In 2013, longtime school consultant and mentor to Dr. Saurez, educational leader Dr. Roberto T. Borromeo was installed as the 2nd President of the Elizabeth Seton School.
At present, the school enjoys Level II Accreditation from PAASCU for its Las Piñas campus, while the Cavite campus has been granted Level I Accreditation.
Elizabeth Ann Bayley-Seton was born on August 28, 1774 in New York to a devout and wealthy Episcopalian family. In 1794, at the age of 19, Elizabeth married William Magee Seton, a prosperous banker and merchant. They had five children: Anna Maria, William, Richard Bayley, Catherine Charlton and Rebecca Mary.
In the fall of 1803, an ailing William brought his wife and daughter Anna Maria to the warmer climates of Italy to visit the Felicchi family who were renowned merchants of Livorno. Discovered to have been suffering from yellow fever, William, died on December 27 of the same year in Pisa, which left Elizabeth a widow at the age of 29.
The Felicchi’s provided gracious hospitality to the widow and child until they returned to America the next spring. While in Italy on the other hand, Elizabeth was introduced by the Felicchi’s to the Catholic religion arousing her interest in the Sacred Liturgy.
Although Elizabeth left the United States a firm Protestant, she returned to the United States with the heart of a Roman Catholic and was ostracized by family and friends. In her discernment, she sought the guidance of the first Bishop of Boston, Rev. John Cheverus, who reinforced her conversion to embrace Roman Catholicism, taking her religious vows in 1805.
Rev. Louis William Dubourg, S.S., a Sulpician priest met Elizabeth during a trip to New York in 1806. Impressed by her commitment to her faith, the Sulpicians invited her to join them in Maryland where they have established a sisterhood they have named “Sisters of Charity of Saint Joseph's” where later she was named “Mother Seton”.
Elizabeth opened Saint Joseph's Free School on February 22, 1810 to educate needy girls of the area. This was considered as the first free Catholic school for girls staffed by sisters in the country. The Sisters of Charity later spread its wings to open orphanages in Philadelphia and New York.
Elizabeth died of tuberculosis in Emmitsburg, Maryland on January 4, 1821. By this time her congregation, the first to be founded in America has ventured to servicing orphanages, hospitals, child care institutions, homes for the aged and schools for the handicapped.
The work of education and charity lives on in Elizabeth's spiritual daughters around the world. Archbishop James Gibbons of Baltimore initiated her cause for canonization in 1882. Blessed John XXIII declared Elizabeth venerable on December 18, 1959, and also beatified her on March 17, 1963. Pope Paul VI canonized Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton on September 14 during the Holy Year of 1975 and the International Year of Women.
Elizabeth Seton School is a Catholic Filipino school and a Center for Excellence in basic education. In an ecologically friendly and technologically enabled environment, the school provides quality educational programs anchored on Constructivism with emphasis on Entrepreneurship.
Guided by the virtues of its patroness, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, it nurtures authentic Christians whose daily lives are anchored on Faith, Love, and Selfless Service.
Driven by its strong sense of nationalism, it forms responsible citizens proud of their Filipino identity and cultural heritage who participate actively in transforming society.
Elizabeth Seton School is a leading learner-centered transformative institution, forming principled and competent life-long learners committed to excellence for meaningful life in a globalizing society.
Our core values as an institution are drawn from the virtues our patroness St. Elizabeth Ann Seton